March 18, 2019

STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING (with ginger but no dates)

 
You may wonder why anyone should bother to post about something as everyday as sticky toffee pudding, especially when the only picture is of a solitary slice.  The reason is simple, that it was wonderful, the best I have ever made (I have only ever made it twice before) and it doesn't contain any dates.  For reasons that I don't understand, Nick hates dates in his STP.
 
I made this for a family gathering on a cold wintry day when comfort food of the non-exotic kind was in order.  In other words, Dad and his lady friend were amongst the guest and at their ages (90 and 83) fancy food that's hard to chew would not have gone down well!
 
The recipe comes from Mary Berry's "Family Sunday Lunches" and is definitely a winner.  It made a huge pudding and even with most people having seconds there was still one piece left for me to photograph later.  It was delicious.  You can find it in several places on the internet, one of which is here. 
Of course, another reason for posting is that I know exactly where to find the recipe when I next need it!  Although it is so unbelievably sweet and bad for you that it won't be very soon.  My other attempts at STP can be seen here but I have to say that this recipe is my favourite so far.
(I dare say that if you don't have stem ginger in syrup in stock, a couple of teaspoons of ground ginger would do the job instead.)
 
Ingredients
 
For the pudding
75g softened butter (I used Lurpak Spreadable)
150g light muscovado sugar
2 large eggs
175g self raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tblsp black treacle
1 tsp vanilla extract
125ml milk
5 pieces of stem ginger, finely chopped
 
For the sauce
110g butter
250g light muscovado sugar
400ml double cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
 
Method
 
Preheat the oven to 180 C / 160 Fan / gas mk 4.  Butter a large 2 litre shallow baking dish.  A lasagne dish is perfect.
 
For the pudding whisk the butter and sugar with an electric whisk in a large bowl until light and creamy.  Add all the other pudding ingredients and whisk until smooth.  Pour into the dish and bake for 50-55 minutes until risen and springy.
 
While the pudding is in the oven, make the sauce by putting all the ingredients into a saucepan.  Heat gently until the butter has melted then boil for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
 
Pour half of the sauce over the cooked pudding and serve the rest in a jug, possibly with another jug of cream, so that people can help themselves. 
 
Serves 8.

9 comments:

  1. I'm totally with Nick on the subject of dates in STP. There is something about the texture and the taste that is not right for the pud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just rediscovered your lovely blog again Jean after you left a message on my fruit cake recipe! I've been a bit silent with commenting lately, as I moved from SW France to the UK a year ago, lost my mum suddenly and also wrote a book! So, it's been an up and down last few months, but I think I'm back on track nearly.
    I LOVE the look of this cake and no dates is fine with me too as I am a ginger addict! I have saved it to my "recipes to make" file for the future, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very nice. I actually do like dates in STP and I've even used date syrup in one recently but I'm definitely very happy to try a date-free option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, date syrup is a real find. It's lovely on porridge.

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I have all the ingredients for this and I dislike dates but luuuurve stem ginger in syrup :) Slimming World be damned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I made this and although it was delicious I felt it wasn't sticky enough for sticky toffee pudding. The leftovers made a lovely ginger cake though. So I'm going to make it again, without the sauce and with a lemon icing instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica, that sounds like a good idea.
      I usually find STP too sweet and sickly in restaurants so rarely order it. This was perfect for me but I can see that you would need to douse it heavily in the sauce to make it stickier.

      Delete