September 11, 2023

ROASTED TOMATO SOUP (soup maker recipe) and another note to self.

 

Having got my copy of "Masterchef Kitchen Bible" off the shelf to look for the tiramisu recipe, I flipped through the pages and turned up quite a few recipes that I wanted to try.  One of which was for this soup.  I adapted it for what I had in stock and for the soup maker.


Our tomato plants are still going strong and this recipe uses quite a few of them.

Essentially, you roast fresh tomatoes with onion and garlic and turn it into soup.  I had taken a few pictures of the tray of roasted tomatoes but when I came to review them I found that the SD card was not in the camera!  I had left it in the slot in the laptop and lost quite a few pictures as a result.  The camera does not have a hard memory of its own so they're gone for good.  Oh well, it will teach me to check before I use it next time!

This is an utterly delicious soup.  Like Heinz tomato soup but even better!  Not the quickest to make due to roasting the veg before putting them in the soup maker, but worth it.  (I put mine in the oven to roast while something else was cooking so it wasn't too much trouble.)  It would probably work just as well with shop bought tomatoes as roasting does bring out the flavour of most things that are a bit feeble in that department.  Using my home grown tomatoes I omitted the tomato paste but if using shop bought ones I would probably add it.

Note to self:  check for the SD card before next using the camera!


For Diane! A picture of my soup maker (next to the kettle).

Ingredients

6-8 large tomatoes, or a combination of any kind of tomato amounting to about 700g

1 large onion

2 cloves of garlic (unpeeled)

2-3 tblsp olive oil (or Fry Light)

home made vegetable or chicken stock plus one stock pot or cube (or use two stock pots or cubes)

3 small potatoes, peeled and quartered

1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced

2 tblsp tomato paste (optional)

Method

Preheat the oven to 180C / 160 fan / gas mk 4.

Cut the larger tomatoes into quarters, smaller ones in half and lay on a large baking tray.  Drizzle with the oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for 10 minutes.

Peel the onion and cut into quarters.  Add to the tomatoes with the unpeeled garlic and continue to roast for another 15 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, onion, carrot and potatoes to the soup maker,  Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins and add to the machine.  (Make sure not to go above the bottom line when adding the carrot and potatoes but use all of the tomatoes and onion.)

Add the stock and stock pot/cube plus enough water to fill to the top line.

Cook on smooth.

Makes 4 generous portions.

6 comments:

  1. What do you call a soup maker ? A blender?? Sounds a good soup though I think we will be having Butternut and Pumpkin from what I see in our garden! I have two great recipes for both of these which we really like. Hope all is well, Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A soup maker is a kitchen gadget in its own right. I have added a picture of mine, just for you!
      They either look like a kettle with a blender in it or a blender with a boiling element. Some people think they are a waste of time as you can, obviously, make perfectly good soup with a saucepan and blender but I have found mine (now one on each side of the Channel) immensely useful.
      You can read about mine here:
      https://bakinginfranglais.blogspot.com/2021/01/new-year-new-gadget.html

      Delete
    2. I meant to add that the one I bought in Zodio was a real bargain but I have also seen them in Lidl and Aldi at very good prices.
      They obviously take up a bit of worktop space but only slightly more than an average kettle.

      Delete
    3. Think if I buy another gadget I might not be popular to say the least of it!! I am trying to find a home at the moment for the small air fryer having just bought a Ninja which is huge!! The bread machine is in the bedroom! Thanks for filling me in on the info though, xx

      Delete
  2. I'm currently doing the same with 5kg of tomatoes, but I'll make sauce out of them now they are roasted. And using your camera after leaving your SD card in the laptop is the most teeth grindingly frustrating thing known to mankind, especially when I have never been known to do it, but my husband does it all the time and I go out unknowingly with a useless camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making and freezing tomato sauce is my next plan.
      As you say, using a camera without the SD card in it is SO annoying, the more so because it's such a daft thing to do! And worse when it's somebody else's fault!!

      Delete