August 12, 2023

EASY TOMATO AND CHEESE TART

  

The weather here in the middle of France has been rather English this summer.  However, it's still been warm enough for us to get a bumper crop of delicious tomatoes.  This is in contrast to last year when heatwave followed heatwave, our tomato plants virtually gave up and struggled to produce any fruit at all.

This year I'm scouring my cook books and the internet for imaginative ways to use them up.



This is my version of a number of recipes I found on the internet.
It's dead easy to do and makes an excellent lunch or starter.


Slices of tomato are set on a bed of grated cheese on a pastry sheet then sprinkled with herbs.


It takes next to no time to prepare and is very tasty.

For a different variation, try my friend Susan's recipe here.

Ingredients

1 sheet of ready made, ready rolled puff pastry.  Round or oblong will both work.

1 tblsp Dijon mustard (more if you like a bit more of a kick)

50g cheddar cheese, grated (any hard cheese will work)

2-3 large tomatoes

2 tsp fresh thyme leaves (or any other favourite herb, chopped)

A sprinkling of Herbes de Provence

Salt and pepper

A little olive oil or Olive Fry Light

Method

Remove the pastry from the fridge about 15 minutes before you want to use it.  This prevents it from cracking when you unroll it.

Preheat the oven to 200° C / 180° fan / gas mk6.

Place a sheet of baking paper on a large baking sheet.  I usually use the paper the pastry comes wrapped in, trimmed to fit the baking sheet.

Unroll the pastry onto the baking sheet and with a sharp knife score a line about 2.5cm (1") from the edge without cutting all the way through.*

Spread the mustard evenly over the pastry and within the scored border, using the back of a spoon, palette knife or pastry brush.  Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top.

Arrange the slices of tomato over the cheese, sprinkle with the thyme and Herbes de Provence and season with salt and pepper.  Drizzle with a little olive oil or spray with a few squirts of Fry Light.

Bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.  Serve warm or cold.

Serves 6-8 as a starter, 4-6 as a lunch with salad.

*You could alternatively cut the pastry into individual tarts before scoring and filling, which just takes a little more time.

9 comments:

  1. Gah! You've stolen my post for Monday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that time of year......too many tomatoes! Or a case of great minds think alike!

      Delete
    2. Although I imagine your recipe would be slightly different. I expect it's one of those dishes, like the old fashioned English trifle, that everyone does their own way and they're all delicious!

      Delete
  2. Jane DioisAugust 14, 2023

    Love reading your recipes. I make this one using Boursin Herb and Garlic soft cheese which i spread on the pastry before adding the tomatoes. It’s one of our favourite and, as you say, so quick and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, thank you for your lovely comment. Your version sounds delicious and I shall try it next time!

      Delete
  3. Aha, so this one I can make for Nigel, Susan's recipe sounds good to me, but I am the only one in the house that eats goat's cheese. Yum yum.. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goat's cheese is a bit of an acquired taste. There was a time when I was not so keen myself and I still avoid the ones that have the ash coating. They give me nightmares!

      Delete
  4. Having followed your blog and Susan's since you started them I enjoyed comparing both your posts yesterday. I made your recipe, Jean, and had always put the grated cheese on top of the tomatoes. It is much better underneath as it absorbed the juice from the tomatoes! I also had an opened packet of proscuitto and salami and snipped pieces into the cheese plus some halved olives and snipped anchovy on top of the tomatoes ending with basil and olive oil. As you say there are so many different tomato tart recipes but this will be my favourite from now on! So thank you very much! Following both your blogs enable me to have a little trip to our much loved France through you both. Sadly we are now both too old to physically travel any more. So many happy memories over fifty years! Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment. Knowing that there are people who have been reading and enjoying my posts for so long makes it all worthwhile. I look forward to trying your variation on the recipe.

      Delete