March 8, 2011

QUICK MUFFINS

I don’t make muffins too often but I spotted this recipe for BLUEBERRY AND WHITE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS  and was tempted to have a go.  The original recipe had only half a teaspoon of baking powder which didn’t sound much so I doubled it.  It also requires chopped white chocolate but as I had a packet of white chocolate chips in the cupboard I decided to use that, which was even quicker.  They turned out fine. 

muff2 

muff5muff4

When making muffins I always find it hard to resist beating the mixture to death.  Leaving it lumpy just doesn’t sit comfortably with how I was taught to make cakes by my mother, who would beat and beat until everything was beautifully fluffy.

muff3 

Here’s my version of BLUEBERRY AND WHITE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS

Ingredients

150 g plain flour

50g caster sugar

1 tsp baking powder

a pinch of salt

1 egg, beaten

50g butter, melted and cooled

100 ml milk

75 g blueberries

75 g white chocolate, chopped into smallish pieces, or chocolate chips

Method

Preheat the oven to 200º C (180º fan) and put 6 muffin cases into a muffin tin.  (I found the  mixture made 7 easily and they are quite filling.)

Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.

Add the butter, egg and milk and mix together quickly.  Add the fruit and chocolate and mix in as briefly as possible, avoiding over-mixing, as long as there are no dry bits of flour.

Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and bake for approx 25 minutes until risen and golden. 

Cool on a wire rack.

Makes 6-7 and will keep for a day or so in an airtight tin.  (Muffins are best eaten as fresh as possible.)

3 comments:

  1. I also seldom make muffins but these sound good it may encourage me to get out in the kitchen!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 29, 2014

    Pls what is the conversion of the measurements in cup. Great blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, I rarely use cup measurements.
      I suggest you consult one of the online conversion charts available, or trusted websites such as Delia Smith's or Nigella Lawson's. The BBC Good Food website is also a reliable source of this kind of information.
      Good luck and I hope you enjoy the muffins if you make them!

      Delete