February 26, 2023

BISCOFF MIRACLE CAKE



I spotted this recipe on Kirsten's blog, "A letter from home" and you can see the post here.  As soon as I read about it I felt compelled to make the cake.  The recipe comes from the Sainsbury's Magazine website where you can see a number of ideas for using Biscoff spread here.

The recipe has only three ingredients; a jar of Biscoff spread, two eggs and some baking powder.  Biscoff spread has the same flavour as those delicious little biscuits (the kind often served alongside tea or coffee in cafés and tea rooms.)   As I poured the mixture into the cake tin I looked at the thin layer of it and thought "that will never work", even though the pictures on Kirsten's blog and Sainsbury's website clearly indicate that it does!

It worked!  It has to be the fastest cake I have ever made and it rose perfectly and looked exactly like......cake!  Luckily we were having visitors so I needed to create something for dessert other than my current staple of fruit salad.  (I was aware that our young guests were not huge fans of fruit salad.)

Diet or no diet I served myself a thin slice (to go with my dish of fruit salad) and can confirm that by some miracle the unlikely looking mixture magically turned into an actual delightful and delicious cake!

I bet you could also make it into lovely muffins, mini muffins or possibly even an apple pudding........a kind of Eve's pudding with a cinnamon sponge topping.......mmmmm.  I bet you could even make the mixture into a sandwich cake using two 18cm tins and sandwiching it together with the Biscoff buttercream suggested on the website.  Double mmmmmm......!!

The original recipe suggested that you melt a little more Biscoff spread to drizzle over the top.  That meant I would have to buy a second jar and having something like that in the house is far too dangerous.  Instead I bought a pack of the little Biscoff biscuits.  (Biscuits are one of the things Nick is filling up on while I abstain so I knew they wouldn't go to waste).  I bashed a couple into crumbs using a rolling pin and sprinkled them on the top, thereby turning it into a crumble cake.  

Marvellous!  And miraculous!

Ingredients

1 400g jar of Biscoff spread

2 large eggs

1½ tsp baking powder

a couple of Biscoff biscuits (optional)

Method

Preheat your oven to 180°C / 160° fan / gas mk 4.  Grease and line the base of a 20cm cake tin.

Spoon the spread into a large bowl and microwave briefly until it becomes just liquid.  Mine reached this stage after exactly one minute at power 900.

Using a hand held electric whisk, beat in the baking powder, then the eggs.  (My mixture stiffened up a bit once the eggs were whisked in.)

Transfer the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top.

Put two Biscoff biscuits (if using) into a polythene bag and bash until they become crumbs.  Sprinkle evenly over the top of the cake.

Bake for 30 minutes until done.  I cooled my cake in the tin before turning out.

Cuts into 8-10 slices.

3 comments:

  1. That's a nice idea. I did come across similar cakes in the north of France some years ago, where those particular flavours are treated a bit like holy writ. I'd no idea it would be so straightforward to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very sceptical, but would definitely make it again!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this cake has blown my mind! Although I'm not a fan of the spread (due to the texture) I absolutely love the biscuits. I think I might need to try this.

    ReplyDelete