December 9, 2023

PARMESAN BISCUITS (canapé size)

I recently spent a happy half hour (or more) leafing through my cook books for recipes for nibbles.  We had friends coming for lunch and I found myself with the luxury of time on my hands that would enable me to do more than just spread some paté on bits of toast or put olives in a dish.

I found a Nigella Lawson recipe that I liked the look of and with all the ingredients to hand thought it worth a try.  The recipe makes a bowl full of little cheesy biscuits for now and enough mixture to freeze half of it for later.  Always a good idea in my book!

Very easy to do, delicious and highly recommended.

And then there were three!

Ingredients

150g plain flour

75g grated parmesan (I used the ready grated kind as that's what I had in)

100g butter, softened

1 egg yolk

Method

Put all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix together using an electric hand mixer until it comes together in a large clump.

Transfer to a work surface and knead briefly until smooth.  Divide roughly into equal halves.

Take one half and roll it into a log then an even cylinder about 3cm diameter, with nice flat ends.  Wrap in cling film, twist the ends to secure and chill for at least 45 minutes or until needed, by which time it should be firm enough to slice easily. Repeat with the other half of the dough.

Preheat the oven to 180C / 160 fan / gas mk4.

Unwrap one or both cylinders and slice neatly and evenly into discs about 1cm thick.  I got 20 discs from my first one (the second is in the freezer).  Some of my discs looked rather irregular in shape but miraculously turned into nice neat circles when cooked.

Arrange on a baking sheet lined with baking paper (one sheet for each cyslinder) and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes until a pale golden brown (depending on how thick the discs are).

Makes about 20 biscuits per log.  Store in an airtight tin or box (if there are any left!).

6 comments:

  1. Lovely. They make great nibbles.I often make parmesan biscuits at Christmas, although I don't think it'll be possible this year. In fact, it was fiddling about with a recipe for parmesan biscuits that made me start my blog way back in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was compelled to look up your first post - lovely pictures of Collioure. We had a great time there while staying with friends who lived up in the hills not far away. That was probably not long after your visit.

      Delete
  2. Oohh now you've given me an idea for today. We're going away to a "safari park" on 23/24 December near Peaugres (near Lyon) and I will only have Christmas morning to get everything ready for when they arrive at my place. Gonna make some of these today as, like you, the idea of just putting out olives and crisps doesn't do it for me! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is perfect for Christmas. Freeze one or both logs, get them out of the freezer on Christmas Eve and bake on Christmas morning.
      I expect you could even cut into discs and open freeze them, making it even less trouble on Christmas Day.

      Delete
  3. Very tempting. I love parmesan biscuits.

    ReplyDelete