August 16, 2023

ROAST SALMON WITH COURGETTES AND TOMATOES


We are up to our necks in produce at the moment and finding ways to keep up with supplies is becoming a challenge.   As fast as we pick them the tomatoes and courgettes keep on coming and as fast as we give them to friends more stuff comes our way.

It's a marvellous yet humbling feeling, being so well supplied with fresh produce when so many people can't afford to eat properly.  Hence I feel even more determined to use it all and not waste any.

We gave two enormous tomatoes and some courgettes (green and yellow) to a friend who sent me a message the next day to say she had made them into a delicious chicken traybake.  I thought that was a good idea but on looking at the contents of our fridge found no chicken but a pack of two salmon fillets.  So "why not" I thought.

Roasting is now my preferred way to cook salmon fillets as I find the timing and the result more reliable.  Sometimes I sprinkle a few herbs on the top but otherwise I just bake them.  The days of foil parcels with herbs and lemon slices and having to peek inside to see if it's done are a distant memory!


The veg are roasted for a while before the salmon goes in as they take much longer to cook and it's very easy to overcook the fish.

Ingredients

1 large or 2-3 smaller tomatoes

1 courgette

2 salmon fillets

olive oil or Olive Fry Light

Herbes de Provence or fresh herbs of your choice (optional)

Method

Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180° fan / gas mk 6.

Wash and chop the courgette and tomatoes into large dice and place in a single layer in a suitable baking dish.  Drizzle a little olive oil over or spray with Fry Light, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over some H de P. 

Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until nearly done, tossing them once if they begin to brown.

Remove from the oven, place the salmon fillets skin side down on top (coated with herbs if you like) and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.  By this time the salmon should be pink and tender and the veg soft.  If you need to cook for longer do it for only a minute at a time as the salmon quickly becomes overcooked.

Serve with potatoes, rice or pasta and extra veg if you like.

Serves 2.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like my sort of dinner (not Simon's though, I'd have to get a different fish for him). I don't know if I mentioned to you that if you have produce to give away I'm passing on a steady stream of tomatoes, zucchinis, cucumbers, beans and plums to the Ukrainians from my friends, as well as using a bit myself. The Ukrainians are loving it and will definitely use anything you can give.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely stuff. I'm absolutely with you on trying to avoid wasting any produce, although the freezer is getting very full at the moment. I'm also with you on roasting salmon, although I do still use the old foil parcel technique sometimes when I'm cooking a larger piece of salmon and using a coating that I don't want to dry out, such as a chilli paste (not your thing, I know).

    ReplyDelete