June 2, 2024

SAUSAGE PATTIES or an almost free lunch.

I recently made some mini sausage rolls for a picnic and there was a bit of sausagemeat left over, probably about 75g or two tablespoonfuls.  A couple of days later, with that, the remains of the beaten egg from brushing the pastry and a portion of leftover mashed potatoes an idea sprang to mind.  I added some breadcrumbs made from one slice of "wonderloaf" blitzed in my mini processor.

I first thought of making rissoles or meatballs so mixed everything together in a bowl and divided it into four large balls.  I then decided that the mixture probably wouldn’t hold its shape in a frying pan so patted each one lightly into the well buttered holes of a muffin tin.  

After ten minutes at 180° fan they were coming along nicely and I sprinkled a bit of grated cheddar on top.  They were then baked for another fifteen minutes.  They were absolutely yummy, plenty for two people, and we had ours with some baked beans.  In fact they were so yummy that I would even buy more sausagemeat to make them again!

6 comments:

  1. That worked out very well indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago I would probably have thrown some if not all of it out but these days we try to waste nothing. They were very tasty!

      Delete
  2. Excellent it is amazing what can be made out of a few left overs. Well done, Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might do the same with a tin of corned beef that has been lurking on the pantry shelf for too long.........

      Delete
  3. I do tend to make meatballs of one sort or another when I've got leftovers, but this alternative is great fun. Absolutely up my street. I'm impressed that you have a tin of corned beef lurking somewhere. Probably due to unfortunate childhood memories in my family, corned beef is banned from crossing the threshold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it was a pandemic panic purchase which made it across the channel to France!

      Delete