index of recipes

September 12, 2026

STALLED and biting the bullet.


Mary Berry's pear tart (with peaches).

It's absolutely ages since my last post and you may be tempted to think that no baking has been going on but that's not so!  The last few weeks have been a very busy time and we have been doing a lot of socialising which actually means quite a lot of cooking and baking, including recipes I had never tried before.  The blog is stalled for the moment but new posts will follow as soon as I have the time.


My adaptation of Dominic Franks' ham, fig and cheese tart. 


My own invention of barbecue pie.


A delicious poached nectarine trifle.


I have been chez nous uk this week and trying to eat very healthily as all that socialising and enjoying life over the summer chez nous fr has taken its toll on the waistline.  I have had huge success with poached eggs.

You may laugh but poaching eggs is, IMHO,  a black art and over the years I have tried a number of methods with mixed success.  I have tried microwaving them (Nancy Birtwhistle's method) which was a bit hit and miss, the silicone egg poaching pods (eggs stuck like glue to the pods), steaming them in a tea strainer over a pan of simmering water (stuck like Gorilla glue to that), and, most successful so far, sliding them into a large shallow pan of barely simmering water from a small cup (Nigella Lawson's method).  This would produce eggs that varied from perfect little balls of deliciousness to something that looked like a strangled jelly fish (but still tasted good).



More recently I have bit the bullet and done it the old fashioned way with HUGE SUCCESS.  Sliding the egg from a cup into a small but deep saucepan of just simmering water containing a splash of white wine vinegar has worked for me.  I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the freshness of the egg but when the white is just no longer transparent the egg seems to have that oh so perfect runny yolk we all aim for.  A thing of joy without a doubt.

Changing the subject, I have begun, for the umpteenth time, to wonder why I write this blog.  Posting recipes takes a lot of time and it's normal to have maybe up to a hundred page views but very few comments.  I have come to the conclusion that I mainly write it for two reasons; 1) that I enjoy writing it as long as I have the time and 2) as a record of what I have cooked.

However, Blogger has recently thrown a wobbly (one of many over the years) and no longer updates my reading list or my blog list and I am nervous about what might be next.  Could my record of favourite recipes disappear?  So I am intending that over the dark winter months to bite the bullet and spend some time creating some other kind of record, maybe by copying the recipes (without all the chat) into some kind of document that is forever stored on my laptop and maybe even printing them out.  I am of the generation that is suspicious of anything that is transient, i.e. not on paper!  Any suggestions would be very welcome!

4 comments:

  1. Paper copies every time! I have my mother's recipe book... hand written on cheap paper, starting from 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m not really bothered about the fact that my blog has few visitors. I only started it because I wanted my favourite recipes to be accessible to me wherever I am. I think I’d have to be a more regular poster to get more views — until I posted yesterday, my last entry was in January! I’m not too worried about it disappearing as I host it myself (using Wordpress).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the convenience of having all your favourite recipes accessible and have often wondered about moving across to Wordpress. Maybe I will look into it over the aforementioned long dark days of winter.........although having said that, winters always seem to be busier than I expect and time flies by!

      Delete