August 19, 2012

JULIE AND JULIA

It was Julia Child’s birthday this last week – she would have been 100.

One of my favourite films to watch on DVD is “Julie and Julia” so to celebrate Julia Child’s birthday we watched it again.

In the film a young woman called Julie, who has a stressful, unrewarding job uses cooking to relax and she is very good at it.  She decides to cook her way through the whole of Julia Child’s famous book “Mastering the art of French cooking” in one year and to write a blog about it.  This affects her job and her marriage but it has a happy ending – of course.

At the same time we see the story of how Julia Child comes to write her book.  Meryl Streep plays Julia and is marvellous.  I wonder how many blogs were created as a result of watching the film. 

If you haven’t seen it, I recommend it for an evening if you’ve had a long day or a long week and you all you want is a little stress-free light entertainment and some really lovely Paris scenes.  Serve with a nice red wine or a chilled sauvignon blanc………….

10 comments:

  1. I saw it on a plane - the only time I ever see movies. Being a non-American, I'd never heard of Julia Child. A nice enjoyable movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither, Susan, but I now know how well-loved she was by American cooks, a bit like our own St Delia.

      Delete
  2. I love this film and in fact it inspired me to start blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't seen the film yet but will order from Lovefilm. I'll be sure to chill that bottle ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaynor, you will enjoy it, I'm sure.

      Delete
  4. I love this film too - inspired me to buy the book and try out some of the recipes [not all, I quickly add!].

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen this film and I'm starting to feel really left out. It's on my list of films that I've really got to see. Of course, I've also got a list of books that I've really got to read. Anybody got any spare time they can let me have, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang on, I'll just have a look on top of the wardrobe - that's where we keep our spare stuff !!

      Delete