April 23, 2012

AWARDS TIME

Just over a month ago I was given an award by Perpetua called the Kreativ Blogger Award.

I am immensely flattered to receive this award.  I don’t think of myself as creative so much as just having a great time in the kitchen.  There is therapy in baking and a lot of fun to be had too.  If my posts encourage anyone to pick up a recipe book and bake something for themselves or for anyone else then I am very pleased, if not dead chuffed.  Baking doesn’t have to be perfect.  If I can do it anyone can and if someone as well as you enjoys eating it then it’s a wonderful thing.

As you can see, there are two versions of the award.  I picked the original one because I liked the old-fashioned, tea and biscuits on a lace tray-cloth feel to it.  But I could just as easily have chosen the other as I love strong colours and pink and green are a great combination.

The idea now is that I pass the award on to other bloggers and reveal some facts about myself.  Seven was the original number suggested but a lot of the blogs I would have chosen already have the award or do not accept them.  So here’s my list:

  • Elizabeth of In and around Braye-sous-Faye.  Elizabeth is undoubtedly the most creative person I know, making lots of lovely crafts as well as gardening and generally enjoying life to the full in France.
  • Snowy of Cookbooks Galore, who bakes the kind of things I love to bake myself.  Home baking at its best.
  • Tim and Pauline of De la bonne bouffe and Aigronne Valley Wildlife.  They live just a few minutes drive from our little French house and spend their time, amongst other things, doing up their house, growing vegetables and fruit and eating it or processing for future use, birdwatching, looking after their land and local wildlife and writing all about it.
  • Martine of Wishing I were in France.   She tells lovely stories about her life in Belgium and her holidays in France and frequently posts recipes for delicious meals that she has cooked.  A very talented lady.

That’s it.  If my chosen blogs decide to accept and take part they can choose which logo they prefer. 

Now for the four facts about myself.  I’m not sure what sort of facts they should be but maybe these might do.

  • I am sixty years old.  I have an old photo with three females in it.  One is a toddler in a hand-knitted romper suit (me).  One is a young woman of about 23 (my mother).  The third is an old woman, with grey hair tied back in a bun, wearing one of those floral aprons that go over the head and cover the front and back, wrinkly stockings and those tartan slippers with pom-poms on.  She was my grandmother and at the time the photo was taken would probably have been five years younger than I am now.  She never went anywhere except to the local town about 5 miles away, on the bus, to do some shopping, or to the seaside for a treat once a year.  How lucky we women are these days.
  • I once fell asleep in a Pink Floyd concert at Leeds University.
  • I wish I had learned to play the drums – it’s probably too late now, all that arm-waving might be a bit too much.
  • I ride a Harley-Davidson.  Just when I was thinking that at my age I should not really be doing this any more, I decided to go out and buy another one.  The colour is called “merlot”.  It’s smaller and more comfy than my other one, as befits my age !!

merlot

10 comments:

  1. Gosh, Jean, I'm deeply impressed! Riding a motorcycle of any kind at any age is far beyond me. :-) I know just what you mean about how old our grandmothers look in photos. Their lives were harder in most cases, but they just seemed to sink into old age so early.

    Now off to explore your nominees. I love finding new blogs.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perpetua, she had a hard but, in many ways, a very happy life. Just feeding the family and keeping them in shoes and clean clothes was the limit of her aspirations.

      Delete
  2. So where is the photo of the 3 of you?? Another Harley! I presume the others are unsold!
    We are off to a Repas tomorrow so plan on eating from around 12h00 until at least 17h00 :) Hic Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I will have a rummage through my photos and see if I can find it.
      Have fun at the repas - you will be "à pied" I guess !!

      Delete
  3. I love this post - particularly the 4 facts about you and your observation about how age (and the perception of) has changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC, in the 1950's anyone over 50 was definitely old and very few would still be doing the things most of us take for granted now, especially the women. We are so lucky, in some ways.

      Delete
  4. My goodness, Jean, you certainly flatter me and my attempts to be creative! I'm very honoured to be on your list! If you see the photo I've sent you of my version of the cake we baked together you may change your mind! Thanks anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I have looked at the photos and declare the cake to be gorgeous !! Strawberries on top instead of the mini eggs is a great idea. I'm glad it worked !!

      Delete
  5. Jean, I'm really flattered that you've chosen my blog for an award.Thank you.I'm just a home cook who loves baking.
    Wow, riding a Harley - very impressive. My husband was a biker, but sadly now has health problems and had to sell his beloved bike - a Honda 750.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snowy, your award is well deserved.

      It must be a wrench for your husband having to give up his bike. We were on the point of doing the same but somehow I was not ready to give it all up yet, which is why we had a shuffle round and I bought a smaller one.

      Delete