December 3, 2011

FOOD BLOGGERS UNPLUGGED

I have been invited by Snowy of Cookbooks Galore to join in “Food Bloggers Unplugged” and reveal all kind of things about my baking !!

1.  What or who inspired you to start a blog ?

I started this baking blog as an offshoot of my first blog about buying and enjoying a holiday home in France.  Once my little French kitchen was established I found I had the time to start baking again and whenever I posted about things I had cooked there, people seemed to be interested.

2.  Who is your foodie inspiration ?

My mother.  Her only recipe book was a well-spattered Be-Ro book and a few scraps of hand-written recipes and magazine cuttings but she was an excellent cook.  As a child in the 1950’s I only ever ate home-cooked food and home-grown vegetables and nothing fancy.  Eating out was limited to a cup of tea and an ice-cream on a trip to the seaside – we took our own sandwiches and cake for a picnic wherever we went.  I now realise how lucky I was.

3.  Your greatest batter-spattered food/drink book is ?

I would have to pick two !!  I am a cookbook addict but I often refer to my own ancient Be-Ro book and my Homepride Flourgraders recipe book that I bought with a coupon from a pack of flour for 13/6d when I first left home and the comfort of my mother’s tiny kitchen.

4.  Tell us about the best thing you've ever eaten in another country, where was it, what was it ?

I have had so many good meals abroad that I truly can’t recall the details of any single one.  The only meal I can actually remember in any detail is the worst meal I ever had, which was in Gigondas in France. 

The starter was a plateful of huge and ugly whelks in a spicy sauce.  The main course was mutton cooked in parcels of tripe in the same spicy sauce.  For dessert we chose the cheese as it seemed the safest option and would fill us up, having eaten nothing so far !!  All chosen by mistake as a result of a misleading translation in a French/English food dictionary !!

5.  Another food blogger’s table you would like to eat at ?

Honestly, I just couldn’t choose.  I would really like to sit in the kitchen of all the bloggers listed on my sidebar and taste and nibble as they work !!

6.  What is the kitchen gadget you would ask Santa for this year (money no object of course) ?

A full set of Le Creuset casserole and baking dishes.  Including the ramekins, please !!

7.  Who taught you to cook ?

My mother.  Also I learned a lot from watching the early Delia Smith cooking programmes on TV.

8.  I’m coming to you for dinner.  What’s your signature dish ?

I don’t have one.  I’m more likely to cook something from my most recently purchased cookbook or that I’ve seen in a blog just a couple of days ago.

9.  What is your guilty food pleasure ?

Tinned rice pudding.  I’d prefer proper home-made rice pudding with a lovely thick brown skin on top but I can never wait that long.

10.  Reveal something about yourself that others would be surprised to learn.

My passion for many years was sub-aqua. I have gathered my own scallops from the seabed when diving off the coast of Scotland, stuffed them in a bag, brought them to the surface and cooked them on a camping stove. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I must choose some other bloggers to invite them to take part.  No obligation, of course.

First, I choose Anneliese at Rising to the Berry, who is cheerfully and bravely baking her way through Mary Berry’s Baking Bible.

Next, Miss Cakebaker, at What I Baked This Weekend who seems to enjoy baking challenges and bakes lovely cakes.

Thirdly, I choose Lucy at The KitchenMaid who blogs from New Zealand and whose blog I have only recently discovered and am enjoying catching up on.

Last of all, I would have chosen Snowy, without a doubt, but she’s done it already and picked me !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apologies to anyone who has already been tagged or doesn’t want to take part.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I would love to be able to dive for my own scallops, what a pleasure. Diane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to your blog, so for me it was interesitng to learn more about you. Your inspiration being your mother made me smile, my mother influenced me too and she never had any cookbooks either.

    ReplyDelete