March 3, 2011

AS SURE AS EGGS IS EGGS ?

Lately I have been buying eggs from our local farm.  They are free-range, beautiful eggs and at £1 for half a dozen, very reasonable. egg3egg1

egg2

The only problem is, a box of six eggs will contain six eggs of different sizes !!

In the latest box, there was a big difference in size between the smallest and largest so I weighed them just to see how much.  It was 50%, as you can see from the pictures, where I have written the weight in grams on the eggs.

So if ever I have a baking disaster, I’ll know to blame the hens !!

4 comments:

  1. Please send some this way, bet you have lovely yellow eggs, not the insipid cream that we buy in the supermarkets. Does size matter!!!!! :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane - the eggs are absolutely lovely and I just don't know how much it really matters in baking - not the sort of baking I do, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found it Jean.
    I love coconut so I'll give the macaroons a try, also the Guinness cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just can't beat free range eggs (pun not intended!) I miss having hens but not just for this reason. They were great characters! We are going to get some for Braye sous Faye just as soon as we can find a hen-minder for the odd times we go away!

    ReplyDelete